Environmental activists have been around for decades, but in recent years it seems as though “going green” has become more of a requirement than way of life. With gas prices skyrocketing and unemployment rates nearing record highs, individuals are turning to find alternative solutions to help save money. During its infancy, eco-friendliness was thought of as a “fad” and often required costly equipment which only necessitated even more expensive installations methods. However, with time this trend soon proved itself to be a way of life for many, offering affordable solutions even modest homeowners could implement. The green industry is growing at an exponential rate; it’s seems as though a new eco-friendly product hits the market weekly. The following is a look into the five most popular recycled products for the home remodeler.
1) Recycled bathroom sinks – composed of materials ranging from copper to rubber, these sinks certainly are a wave of the future. These sinks are melted down, reshaped into new sinks and designed to outlast the life of your home. Those who favor a sleek, modern aesthetic will appreciate the sleek lines and customizable options rubber sinks have to offer. Check out this idea here, and here.
2) Recycled glass countertops – countertops are now becoming the focal point of kitchens and bathrooms alike. From sleek and elegant to bold and colorful (some are composed of blue Skyy vodka bottles creating a vibrant royal-blue effect) recycled glass countertops come in a wide variety of patterns and colors for all tastes. These countertops are more durable (most come with lifetime warranties), are scratch resistant, and withstand extreme temperatures. They can be installed in as little as one day, with virtually no demolition required. Best of all these one-of-a-kind designs are composed of 72% post-consumer recycled material which makes them extremely affordable than their granite counterparts. Check out some ideas here, here, and here.
3) Repurposed chairs – far from the most comfortable of materials, eco-activists get creative when constructing their seating contraptions. Some of the quirkiest materials we’ve seen used include gun shells and even antique kitchen utensils! Our favorites include breathing youthful life into rickety old wooden chairs by transforming them into tree swings – sure to be a hit for any age. Check out this idea here.
4) Soda glasses – whether you prefer “pop” to soda, we’re sure these glasses will be a fan favorite for Boylan’s fans around. Made in Sedonza, Arizona, the company is quick to note that they’ll be happy to repurpose “adult” beverages, too, great gifts for groomsmen or that beer-lover in your life. Check out this idea here.
5) Wall decals – ideal for the aspiring artists in your life, these reusable fabric wall decals let kids be kids (without the mess). A complete set comes equipped with 10 branches, 30 leaves, grass, an owl, a butterfly, and a deer…all that’s required of you is imagination.