Greenhouses are essential for any gardener. They protect your plants from destruction caused due to weather changes. Unlike earlier times, they are not expensive and are available in numerous kinds of plastics. And if you wish, you can also build them yourself. All you need are some pieces of PVC pipes, which are flexible, and plastic sheets (the kind used by builders).
Alternatively, if the budget is not a restriction, you can try investing in any of the mini greenhouses kits that are available nowadays. But, coming back to the topic, the steps for building a basic greenhouse are given below -
Things Required –
Three boards of the measurements of 2x4x24 feet
14 Rebar stakes (3x3/4 inch diameter)
7 PVC pipes (24x1 inch diameter)
¼ inch drill bit
T-shaped posts with driver
24 feet sq. Construction plastic
Staple gun with staples
Chalk for marking
Creating The Greenhouse –
1. Saw the 24 feet long board in half and attach these two halves to the ends of 2 boards to create a 12x24 feet box. This box will be the sturdy foundation to your greenhouse’s structure.
2. Hammer stakes along the corner of the greenhouse at an interval of 4 feet, ensuring that 2/3rd of the stake is well within the ground.
3. Put the PVC pipes over the stakes, bending them into half circles and using the other end to cover the opposite stakes.
4. This arched structure must have drilled holes on every rib 1/3rd and 2/3rd distance. Use the wire to create a mesh like formation by passing them through the drilled holes. This step will stabilize the structure and form the frame.
5. Take measurements of the storm door and divide it in half. Use the board to mark the basic outline of the storm door. Take the T fence behind the greenhouse area to secure the door. Sand the door in front of the T posts and wind gauge wire around it. After you close the door, you would need to attach the foundation with the frame using wooden screws.
6. Drape the plastic sheet completely over your greenhouse’s structure and attach it to the sides using a staple gun. Use greenhouse tape on the corners and also when you are combining two sheets. Cut away the plastic part covering the door and staple the edges again to the frame of the door.
You could use the door as ventilators. Remember that this would only be a temporary structure and for a sturdier greenhouse, you would have to buy discount greenhouse kits.